-->

January 28, 2013

Shopping the "Stash"

So I belong to a Facebook group dedicated to help each other with a beauty "no-buy" or "low-buy". We offer advice, tips and even convince people why they shouldn't buy something (which can be hard sometimes).

The term "shop your stash" has come up many times and I know I have used it once or twice as well. I thought I'd share with you my stash, and how I shop it.

Please note, my stash is just stuff that I'm not currently using. The stuff I'm in the process of using is either in my bathroom or in my makeup kit. Most of the stuff that is part of my stash have been received as part of a gift/swag bag, beauty boxes, swaps, etc.


So, here it is. It sits above my computer desk, so I see it almost everyday.  Helps me remember what I have. It's also somewhat organized: Hair stuff, face creams, cleaners, face masks, a few random stuff, and other creams.

The stuff above my desk isn't stuff that I buy on a whim.  I usually only purchase whenever I'm empty.

The two semi-clear boxes on the right: Mascara's, a few small random creams, other box is foil samples (masks, creams, etc)
Hair, face creams, makeup remover.  Stuff you can't quite see: Elin Bianco Hair Serum, Macadamia Deep Repair Masque (this I do use, but keep putting it back since I don't have room elsewhere), Oil of Morocco, Aveeno face cream, Jouviance face cream.
Face wash, toniers, masks
Eye  power pads, hand/food creams, a body wash, random nail polish, brush cleanser (the other's in the washroom), more masks
 Now you may have noticed the two GlossyBox boxes.  The pink one just holds business cards and product cards, while the silver one holds random makeup stuff:

Lots of lip stuff, primers, bronzers, eye liners, blushes, eye shadows, false lashes...
By having it in it's own box, where the items are not fully visible, if I have the urge to spend money (let's face it, sometimes it just makes you feel better), then I go in this box and pick something out. I also have a box beside this (the Topbox box), which I cut a hole in the top to put money in. So, if I take something out of the silver box, I try to make sure I put a bit of money in the other. Doesn't have to be the full value of the product, just a few bucks. We'll see how much money I've collected in the end :)


So, there you have it.  That is how I shop my stash. What about you? If you're on a no-buy or low-buy, I'd love to hear if and how you shop your stash!

*hugz*

-Sam

15 comments:

  1. Samantha what a great post. Its a great way to see what you have before buying or having the urge to buy. I really like your idea with putting products in the glossybox and when you have the urge to shop you go there and put money in the topbox container. I might have to try that now that I am almost have way through cutting my subscriptions down.

    You can check my blog later this week when I talk about my stash and what I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like my ideas :) Looking forward to seeing what you do

      Delete
  2. I love your idea~ I think I might need to borrow it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Borrow away! I haven't opened my "Bank" yet so I'm excited to see how much money's gonna be in it at the end of it all

      Delete
  3. Excellent post! Sometimes I find things I've forgotten about so shopping your stash is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, forgetting stuff isn't good. Need to rotate the love! (haha.. oh that sounded lame!) Since it's out of site, I may remember that I have a MAC Fluidline in there.. but I can't remember the colour, etc. It's perfect!

      Delete
  4. Love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I'd have to buy anything for an entire year if I shopped by my stash lol :S
    I like that you put things in view so you can see what you have, I tend to squirrel things away, terrible I know but if I put everything on display the hubs might pass out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Can you imagine if all our hubs' & Bf's got together to talk about our.. addiction/obsession/stash? I think I'd like to have a hidden camera in that room :)

      Delete
  6. I love this idea! I should probably do this with my polishes ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get working on it! You might re-discover some new faves

      Delete
  7. I really need to lay everything out like you have it. As you mentioned, you become more inclined to use things, and not buy duplicates if you can see them! Great idea, Samantha! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love this post!! i am definitely going to give this a try. january was supposed to be one of my beauty ban months (i'm doing 9 months of beauty ban in 2013) but i went on vacation in the u.s. and went absolutely nuts on drug store makeup. i will be trying this in february. i also love how you used a topbox as a piggy bank when you shop your stash. i will be trying that as well. thanks for posting this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh I'd love to hear about what you got in the US! The prices there are so much cheaper. I really should renew my passport..

      Delete